If you are thinking of replacing your existing router for whatever reasons in your connected home or in a small office home office (SOHO) environment, then you should seriously look at the Asus RT-N66U as your replacement. If you are not a techie, reading reviews to get a sound judgment to buy a technical network product like a router can sometimes be very daunting and confusing; especially with all the technical jargons thrown into it.
For those of you non techies out there, I would like to make this article as simple as possible so that you will know whether you should buy or not buy Asus RT-N66U router by the end of this article.
What Is The Asus RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Router?
First of all, what is the Asus RT-N66U? In a gist, it is a simultaneous dual-band three-stream "N-900" router with one Gigabit WAN port. The "N-900" indicates that the RT-N66U can support 450 Mbps link rates when both radios are set to 20/40 or 40 mHz channel bandwidth.
Duo band allows you to split your internet usage to maximize usage. One band will be used for basic internet usage such as web surfing, email and file loading while the other band will be used for HD content streaming such as watching movies, listening to music and online gaming.
The Asus RT-N66U also has four switched Gigabit LAN ports with two USB 2.0 ports that support both drive and printer sharing. It is also designed to operate up to 300,000 Internet client data sessions and is IPv6 support. You also have up to 8 multi-user SSIDs with parental controls. Knowing that sometimes it can be daunting for the non-technical user to set-up a router, Asus also makes it easy for you to set-up the RT-N66U with its ASUSWRT dashboard user interface.
What Are The Advantages Of The Arsus RT-N66U?
- The RT-N66U with the many additional improvements in it was built upon the hugely successful Asus RT-N56U resulting in a better product with better features and performance than its predecessor which was already an excellent product
- It is one of the fastest consumer class routers in its price range in the market today. In terms of performance, reviewers and testers have reported that the Asus RT-N66U beat rivals like the Linksys E4200, ASUS RT-N56U, Cisco E4200V2, Netgear WNDR3800 etc flat!
- Expanded coverage - if your house or office is multi levels - the RT-N66U comes with three detachable external antennas which allow omnidirectional wireless signal coverage to not only reach devices horizontally but also vertically
- Easy Setup and Customizability - it is very easy to setup the RT-N66U with the ASUSWRT dashboard user interface mentioned earlier as you can set up your network right out of the box and optimize it through the dashboard. Management is also made easy with robust parental controls, real-time traffic monitor and Quality of Service done through the dashboard
- If you are in a hurry or need to download many files at one go - the RT-N66U lets you simultaneously download files directly to USB storage devices and connect a printer in the other port via its two built-in USB 2.0 ports
- Are you running intensive peer-to-peer applications? If you are then you can get up to a fantastic 300,000 simultaneous sessions!
- The Asus RT-N66U is very solidly build.You have a good feeling with this router - knowing that it is built to last
Should you buy the Asus RT-N66U?
Buying a router is not an everyday affair and neither do you change routers every month. In fact many people use their routers for years and only change them when they break down or they need to make use of the current technology that their router cannot support. As such, if as little as half of those points highlighted above especially with regards to speed, workload and coverage meet your requirements, then it would definitely be worth your money to invest in the Asus RT-N66U router.
However it you are thinking of buying a model with a lesser specifications that may save you $50 or less, then the question is why buy the lesser model (especially so if you are in a SOHO environment)? Assuming that you would use a router for 2 years, it may only save you less than $5 a month per year with that lesser model; which is really not much for a lot of people.
Hence when you buy the Asus RT-N66U, you are actually buying into the future. You may not need to change the router again if unexpected needs and work load turn up because the Asus RT-N66U router has already the capability and capacity to handle that. Spending a few dollars more on a good router like the Asus RT-M66U now will actually give you more value in the long run. As such it may be wise consider the longer term.
Act now and enjoy the benefits immediately. Click on this link to buy the Asus RT-N66U.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=James_Causian